If you’re on this site, you’re already familiar with the incredible drone revolution going on these days.
Personal drones are becoming more and more popular, their prices are coming down, their technology is getting better and simply put, they become more accessible to more people- that’s why you keep hearing about them all over the place.
Personal drones however, have evolved, like much of our cutting edge technology from a more scary past – a military past. The commercial and consumer drone revolution has both an interesting, a curious and even a more terrifying past – the history of drones is, in fact, extremely interesting.
It’s interesting to read and understand how drones technology has come about and how it has matured over the years – incredibly drones have been evolving for more than two centuries. Quite a lot of different technologies had to come together to eventually enable the current version of drones.
The following Infographic from DronesBuy.net fully explains the timeline of the historical evolution of drones as it happened through the ages, from the first ever unmanned hot-air balloon flight, to the current usage of personal and commercial drones.
But let me tease your curiosity with a few questions about the history of drones:
- Did you know that the first unmanned vehicle flight took place in 1782 by the Montgolfier brothers?
- Did you know that the first historical military use of drones first occurred in 1848 in Austria?
- Did you know that Tesla (the inventor not the car) played an important part in the evolution of the history of drones?
- Did you know that the first drone which could take photos was deployed at the end of the 19th century?
- Did you know that Marilyn Monroe was discovered when working within a military drone facility?
- Did you know that beyond personal drones, these days synchronised UAVs are being used to create spectacular lighting effects in concerts such as the Superbowl by artists such as Lady Gaga?
Have a look at the infographic above, or click on the image to read the full article about the full history of drones and UAVs.